Thursday, May 27, 2010

Your World, My World

I saw a film today about the Hubble telescope and space exploration.
There was something about it that spoke to me. Not just on a "student knowledge intake" level, but more so on a personal level. It made me realize that art and science are not just distantly related, but rather go hand-in-hand. It was one person's art that influenced someone else to make new discoveries and scientific advances. It is one huge chain reaction that has changed life as we know it.

One of the focuses of this film was Hubble's ability to give us an in depth look at space. It discussed nebulae, and gave the viewers a new perspective on what they are. It was this that made me realize how little we really know about the universe, and how much potential we have for our future. I only wish that everyone else could realize this, too. The more I sit and think about it, the more baffled and curious I become. The things we don't know are what nurture creativity. Creativity is one of the more important aspects of our lives, because if we don't take one daring leap across our own borders we're not really living. With this being part of philosophy, I find myself wondering: "how is philosophy not considered an art?" Philosophy has a lot of the same elements as art. Taking large ideas and narrowing them down to something unexpected and new, yet keeping it completely relevant to something is just one of the many similarities I see between the two. Philosophy is spoken poetry, and art is the silent philosophy that screams opinions and raises questions about things that typically go unnoticed.
But it isn't just philosophy and science that relate to art. In a sense, anything and everything can. I say this because everything takes some amount of creativity to become what it is, and creativity is a major element in art.
As I sit here watching a single visible star disappear behind a cloud, I find myself pondering the things we have yet to discover, and it is this that makes me appreciate the little things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment